Wednesday 4 August 2010

Poor Old Me

I know I've been pretty rubbish at updating this recently but I've not stopped since we came back from our honeymoon. I've learned my lesson though because all of the work I have been doing landed me in hospital last week.
I came into work feeling not too bad, a bit of tonsilitis but thought I'd be fine. Within a couple of hours I was dizzy, had fainted, had a panic attack because I was on my own (first time for this and very scary) and couldn't stop shivering. I phoned my mum and Craig but couldn't get a hold of them. Eventually I managed to get myself to the hospital and was immediately taken to a side room in the emergency department.
I was panicing again and even more when they were wiring me up to all sorts of machines and telling me I might have meningitis. Blood was taken, an IV put it, drip attached and lights turned out. I had all sorts of medication pumped into me and all I wanted to do was go home. The doctor told me I had to stay but, having a fear of hospitals, I refused and started causing a scene - mid panic.
One of my friends had come to sit with me and convince me to stay but I was having none of it. I ripped the machines out and refused to stay. The doctor told me how serious it was but against everyones wishes I discharged myself.
My mum had come to meet me and wasn't mad at me, just worried. She took me home but within hours I was back in the emergency room ten times worse. I knew this time I had to stay in. Craig and his mum were with me so I didn't feel so bad. I was once again wired to all sorts of machines, taken for a chest x-ray and to the ward where I was given my own room. I got told I was being sent for a lumber puncture which made me freak even more. I wanted my mum, 22 years old and all I wanted was her by my side.
It was now late at night and time for Craig and his mum to go. As they were leaving I was in floods of tears begging them to stay but they couldn't. I was a mess. Every hour during the night I was woken for tests and more blood and in the morning I was happy to wake to find my mum beside me.
My temperature was still sky high, blood pressure really low, heart tracing was all over the place, heart rate was super high and blood tests showed all sorts of abnormalities. Before I knew it I was in am ambulance being sent to Ninewells hospital in Dundee for a scan as I had a blood clot in my lung. Before going in the ambulance I had to have another injection in my stomach to thin my blood and strange stuff injected through my IV prior to the scan to show the blood supply to my lungs.
I'd never been in an ambulance before, it wasn't really that exciting but it was nice to know the blue flashing lights were on! After my scan we had to wait 2 hours before we could get an ambulance back to Perth. Finally we got back and some more tests were carried out. I was eventually allowed home but with orders of strict bed rest and lots of medication.

So...that's why I've taken ages to update things, I've got so much to update you on and I PROMISE I will get it done soon, I just need to take things easy at the moment. Will try and update again today.

Much love,
Kirst xx

4 comments:

  1. fucking hell Kirst that sounds bloody horrible, I'm very much like you when it comes to hospitals but it really sounds like the past few weeks have been a living nightmare. Have they said what caused the bloodclot or why you were feeling so poorly in the first place?

    Hospitals are not very nice places. Craig owes you breakfast in bed and lots of hugs to make you feel better.

    Warmest wishes and get better soon

    Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirsty, we all hate hospitals but if they tell you to rest … well best do as they say. Glad you're on the mend but if it happens again please listen.

    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats an awfull lot to go through, sounds terrable, hope your a bit better now and never have to go through that again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Chrissie, Phil and Les. It was absolutely awful. I suffer badly from M.E as you may already know. I was basically just doing far too much all at once and not giving myself time to rest. My M.E flared up due to stress at work which caused my immune system to crash and I caught all sorts of things. Nasty. I've learned my lesson now though and have been doing some serious relaxing after work. I've not got my appetite back yet so breakfast in bed is out the question but Craig did buy me a dwarf hamster as a get well present! So cute! x

    ReplyDelete